Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

Mr. Joe McClung

picture



He started teaching in the fall of 2009. His first assignment was in Noel,
Missouri where he worked closely with Mr. William Chamberlain. After his first year of teaching he moved to a junior high school in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He just completed his third year of teaching. At the end of each year he has written a blog post reflecting on his adventures ,accomplishments and learning's. During the first part of the school year, he felt as if he was controlling things way to much. He would get very disappointed and be angry with himself about the lessons that did not go the way he planned. During that first year, he learned several different tactics and techniques that would help him in the classroom and also ways he could help other teachers.The most important decision he made during the year was to stay positive. McClung learned how to create the crowd for reactions. The most important thing he learned was that he had to always stay positive. Also,he learned that communication is the best thing for teachers and students. He states that teachers should never stop learning. We should not become afraid of the new advancements in technology and think about giving up. As a teacher, you can always change up your teaching styles and learning techniques. teachers should take the time to be positive and take interest and listen to their students. Teachers will always set high expectations for their students because they want them to succeed and better themselves, but sometimes you have to be reasonable and understanding that some may not fill that high expectation mark.

His blog post gives tons of excellent tips that I will hope to use when I become a teacher. When reading to the class, I will take the time to make sure my students understand the material being presented. It is very beneficial for all the students to actually grasp the concept of the first topic before moving on to the next. I strongly agree on the communication theory. I think that communication between students and teachers helps break the ice and allows for more trust and encouragement for the students to ask questions and get help.As a teacher, when you communicate with your students and show interest in what they are doing, it shows that you truly care.As a teacher, I will always be there for my students and there to listen and talk to them about whatever they need. Sometimes the student feels that the teacher's expectation of them is too high and if they fall short it can make them lose confidence and lower their self esteem. I would like to be reasonable with my students and give them work that is not easy or extremely hard, but will challenge them and make them think a little more than usually. I hope as a teacher that I will make myself continue to learn and stay up to date with the technology and teach myself and then teach my students what I have learned.Sometimes hands on with technology will help the students learn better. Mr. McClung is an excellent teacher and I hope when I become a teacher I can use his methods and always remember to stay positive.

These are all the links to his post:

At the teachers desk

What I have Learned this year(09-10)


what I have Learned this year(10-11)

His 2010-2011 school year was spent being a first experience head coach, his first experience coaching cross country, and his first year as an applications teacher. During that year he learned that you can get yourself in a tangled up mess trying to please everyone you encounter. He stated that, he started to just be himself and not worry so much about the perception that others have of him. He pointed out that we must all take the time to remember why we chose this profession in the first place and that is because of the kids. He brings up that some teachers take control of the assignments and complete them for the students that are having a had time with it.There is a big difference in helping a student and doing the work for them. If we all do the students work for them at the difficult moments they will never learn a thing.We as humans and as educators cannot allow others to rain on our excitement and joy that we experience in teaching or in life.He mentions that some teachers start off full of excitement and really enjoy their job, but somehow lose all of it along the way.He states that being an outsider is not a bad thing, you don't always have to follow the crowd. You should want to stand out and be different not fit in with everyone else. I really like that he did not eat his lunch with the other teachers in the lounge, because he ate with his students.That is truly an amazing teacher to do that.He said that this helped him get a better feeling and helped make a better connection with his students.He mentions how comfort and security does not help motive the students. As educators we must step outside the comfort zone in order to better reach our students. Teachers need to participate and be more involved in school functions and activities and not just be focused and concerned with their classroom.He mentions that the teaching profession needs individuals that are passionate and willing to exceed the demands of the regular teacher schedule.

This post made me open my eyes and realize that I don't need to try so hard to fit in with all the other employees, that I should stand out and do what I feel is right no matter if it makes me an outsider. My main concern will be my students, they are the most important thing and having a great connection with them is the most beneficial thing to gain. I agree with him on the whole stepping out of your comfort zone and making things a little more different and not so routine, to help motivate the students. I also agree that as educators we should let our students make mistakes and learn from them, instead of constantly correcting them and just automatically giving them the correct answer, The students need to learn from their mistakes and really grasp the concept, instead of being handed the answer and never learning the actual concept being taught. As educators we need to be more involved and reach out to our students more than just the classroom setting. Show interest and participate in school functions and be part of sports or other activities.A big thing that i took from his post was that you always need to relax and have a clear head and not over work yourself.Also, I should not get mad if my assignments and lessons do not go exactly as planned. You can always learn from your mistakes as well and create a better lesson the next go around.

picture

2 comments:

  1. Good job on your blog post! All of your links work and great pictures.I also agree with Mr. McClung when he said we need to step out of our comfort zone. Good luck on your future post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,

    Excellent, excellent, excellent! I am so refreshed by your ability to actually give some insight into the assignment. Thank you so much for not just summarizing the post and then putting why it is "so awesome." Oh my goodness, you will never know how much I love your blog at this particular instant.

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete